Monday, October 26, 2015

Enough (with Amy Malick)

 We are in the midst of "Stewardship Season" at Canterbury.  As we invite our members and friends to prayerfully consider making a financial commitment to support God's work at Canterbury, we are also inviting our members to share their personal experiences of gratitude, generosity, and stewardship. In this week's blogpost Amy Malick, a new member of Canterbury, shares her experience of discovering that there is always enough. (This reflection originally appeared on Amy's blog, "Faithbeat", faithbeat.wordpress.com )


Three years ago I quit a good job with benefits to create time to work alongside people experiencing homelessness. I’m beginning to appreciate the financial consequences of that decision. OK, let’s be honest. I’ve been a little freaked out.

“How much is enough?” I’ve been asking myself. Enough money? Enough stuff? Enough house? Enough service? Enough time?

So, pondering that question, I run into a woman I’ll call Posey who’s lived on and off the streets (mostly on) since I met her when we moved to Albuquerque two years ago.

“Guess what?” she says. “I got an apartment.”

“No way!” I respond in that no-way-that’s-amazing tone. Posey is the last person I’d guess would end up housed.

“How’d that happen?” I ask.

“I signed up for Heading Home (a collaborative program here that houses the most vulnerable) when the city closed down Tent City in June,” she says. “My name came to the top of the list. They even furnished the apartment. Not a bunch of used stuff – all new furniture!”

Something seems be working well here right now. I’m hearing from more and more people who are getting housed.

Then Posey says, “I’m going to sponsor an African child. $25 a month. Soon I can start writing her letters.”

“How’d that happen?” I ask again. I’m scratching my head since I know Posey doesn’t have much to live on much less give away.

“I saw it on TV,” she says.

“Jesus blessed me, so now I’m blessing someone else.”

“You know how that works,” she says, eyes straight on me.

Yes I do, thanks to Posey’s reminder. In love’s economy, there’s always enough.

Do you have a story or experience about generosity, giving, or stewardship to share?  Email your story and a photo to sylvia.miller.mutia@gmail.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome comments and any questions! Please be aware that comments are moderated and may take a day or two to appear. Please be aware that we do not allow any potentially libelous statements, hate speech, attacks on others, or deliberately inflammatory remarks. We are striving to generate an open discussion based in Christianity so please do not impede that.