Monday, November 23, 2015

What's this Methodist doing at Canterbury (by Don Denoon)

What's this Methodist doing at Canterbury? (by Don Denoon)

John Wesley was an Anglican priest who lived in the 18th Century. Through his methodical and disciplined approach to spiritual life, he influenced the lives of countless people of faith in England and The New World. Ultimately he became the force behind the organization of the Methodist Church in the American Colonies. But he, himself, remained an Anglican priest all his life.
           
 A couple hundred years later, I grew up in a Methodist congregation in Indianapolis and was confirmed as a member at age 12. My best friend in that Methodist church was Tim Hall who, in college, united with the Episcopal Church and eventually became an Episcopal priest. I, however, maintained my Methodist connection and eventually entered the Methodist ministry.As adults Tim and I remained good friends even though our paths didn’t cross very often.

After I took early retirement from United Methodist ministry in Nevada, I moved to Albuquerque where I worked for a number of years in a counseling center. Since I was not serving as a pastor, my connection with the UMC in New Mexico was limited. Then 20 years ago I decided I would visit several different congregations in Albuquerque. It was in that process that I first came to St. Thomas of Canterbury.

Because the worship and liturgy I grew up with in the Methodist Church had been appropriated from the Book of Common Prayer, I was immediately comfortable with worship at Canterbury. It was sort of like coming home again.
           
 When she learned of my background in ministry, the Rector, Carole McGowan, invited me – a Newbie in the life of the Episcopal Church – to help her lead an Inquirers Class. My jaw dropped. “Me? You want me, a Methodist minister to instruct Episcopalians?” Yep. That’s what she wanted. I reluctantly said yes but came to realize Carole was very wise. The best way to learn is to teach.

A few years later I was elected to the Vestry, which I knew had to be a mistake. But that worked out, too.

And then, as she did with Bob Browne a retired Presbyterian minister who was part of this worshiping community, Carole invited me to preach.

My varied experiences at Canterbury have been extremely special. But perhaps the one I loved best was serving as Chalice bearer at Communion. This past year, however, I had to give that up when I became unsteady on my feet. But I am pleased to say I am still able to serve as Lector and also as one who leads the Prayers of the People.

Over time at Canterbury I found I was becoming an Episcopalian in Spirit if not in Reality. And that was good. Whenever I spoke to Tim Hall about my experiences at Canterbury, he was genuinely pleased.

Unfortunately, Tim died in March 2014. But I am convinced he continues to smile as he observes my ongoing participation in this congregation. And you know what? I bet John Wesley is smiling, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome comments and any questions! Please be aware that comments are moderated and may take a day or two to appear. Please be aware that we do not allow any potentially libelous statements, hate speech, attacks on others, or deliberately inflammatory remarks. We are striving to generate an open discussion based in Christianity so please do not impede that.